Out of an abundance of caution, due to the COVID-19 pandemic, our offices will be closed to the general public until further notice and we will provide updates as circumstances unfold. Volunteer Applications will continue to be processed and our staff will be supporting you remotely during this time.
We’re thrilled that you are interested in mentoring a child or youth in your community! Before you get started, you should know that you are not alone – you are joining hundreds of volunteers who are already building BIG friendships. You’ll also have the support of professional caseworkers who are here to support you with training and regular check-ins.
Child safety and finding the right match between “Bigs” and “Littles” are our top priorities – that’s why our application form and screening process is so detailed. And our volunteers tell us that finding the right match is worth the effort and patience.
Here’s an idea of what to expect:
Filling Out the Application Form
- Give yourself 30 minutes or more to fill out our application. If needed, you can save your answers and return to the form later.
- You’ll be asked for a minimum of 4 adult references who have known you for at least 2 full years (1 significant other/family member; 1 employer; 2 personal non-family references). You’ll need to provide their full address with postal code, email, and phone number, so consider contacting them now to gather that info.
- If you have worked or volunteered with vulnerable people (e.g. youth, seniors, people living with disabilities) within the last 5 years, you’ll be asked to provide an additional reference related to that experience.
- Applicants to the Big Brothers Community program and Big Couples Mentoring program will be asked to submit a driver’s abstract (we’ll send you instructions after the application is received).
- Please note that if you save your application and do not continue filling it out within 2 months, we will remove it from our database, and you’ll no longer be able to retrieve it.
- Online volunteer application
- Police information check (we’ll send you instructions after the application is received), references check
- In-person interview
- In-person group training session
- Notification of acceptance/non-acceptance as a volunteer
- If accepted, our caseworkers will find the best match for you based on location, shared interests etc. If everyone agrees, your match will officially begin!
To ensure safety and the best match possible, the entire process typically takes 2-3 months to complete. Tip: completing your police information check in a timely manner and letting your references know that we will contact them can help speed up this process.
- Aged 18 or over (aged 20+ for Big Couples Mentoring). Teens (in grades 9-12) should complete this application instead.
- We welcome applications from people of all sexual orientations, gender identities and expressions, and abilities. If we can accommodate any accessibility requirements for this application process, please contact Karen Luchtenberg at firstname.lastname@example.org or 604.876.2447 x 236.
- We ask for minimum time commitments because they have been proven to be most beneficial for the child/youth. (Don’t worry, you can still take your vacations.) Time commitments vary by program:
- Big Brother community-based program – once a week (2-4 hours) for 1 year. Learn more
- In-School Mentoring program – once a week (1 hour) during school hours for 1 academic year. Learn more
- Game On! group mentoring program – once a week (1.5 hours) for 8 weeks. Learn more
- Mentoring with Math – once a week (1.5 hours) for 10 weeks (Spring or Fall sessions available). Learn more
- Big Couples mentoring program – once a week (2-4 hours) for 6 months. Learn more
We know you’re excited about this journey, so let’s get started!