Out of an abundance of caution, volunteer applications will continue to be processed and our staff will be supporting you remotely during this time.
March 2021 Update:
We want to extend our appreciation for your interest in volunteering in our programs.
At this time applications submitted to the Community Program (or Big Brother program) from those in the city of Vancouver specifically will be placed on hold. However we still have a massive need for Big Brother volunteers in all other cities, see below for more information.
The Game On! Program will be on hold indefinitely at this time as we’re unable to offer as many sessions as we did prior to the COVID-19 pandemic. Our staff will contact all applicants by phone to discuss the next steps and to explore other volunteer opportunities within Big Brothers of Greater Vancouver.
Community Program (or Big Brother program) applicants based in Vancouver are encouraged to consider their ability to travel to one of the following areas for the full term of a match (minimum 1 year) to support a child or youth in need of mentorship: Coquitlam, Delta, New Westminster, North Vancouver, Port Coquitlam, Port Moody, Richmond, Surrey, or West Vancouver. Many children are waiting upwards of 2-3 years for a mentor in some of those locations.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Thank you for your support and patience!
We’re thrilled that you are interested in mentoring a child or youth in your community! Before you get started, you should know that you are not alone – you are joining hundreds of volunteers who are already building BIG friendships. You’ll also have the support of professional caseworkers who are here to support you with training and regular check-ins.
Child safety and finding the right match between “Bigs” and “Littles” are our top priorities – that’s why our application form and screening process is so detailed. Our volunteers tell us that finding the right match is worth the effort and patience.
Here’s an idea of what to expect:
Filling Out the Application Form
- Give yourself 30 minutes or more to fill out our application. If needed, you can save your answers and return to the form later.
- You’ll be asked for a minimum of 4 adult references who have known you for at least 2 full years (1 significant other/family member; 1 employer; 2 personal non-family references). You’ll need to provide their full address with postal code, email, and phone number, so consider contacting them now to gather that info.
- If you have worked or volunteered with vulnerable people (e.g. youth, seniors, people living with disabilities) within the last 5 years, you’ll be asked to provide an additional reference related to that experience.
- Applicants to the Big Brothers Community program will be asked to submit a driver’s abstract (we’ll send you instructions after the application is received).
- Please note that if you save your application and do not continue filling it out within 2 months, we will remove it from our database, and you’ll no longer be able to retrieve it.
- Online volunteer application
- Police information check (we’ll send you instructions after the application is received), references check
- In-person interview
- In-person group training session
- Notification of acceptance/non-acceptance as a volunteer
- If accepted, our caseworkers will find the best match for you based on location, shared interests etc. If everyone agrees, your match will officially begin!
To ensure safety and the best match possible, the entire process typically takes 2-3 months to complete.
Tip: completing your police information check in a timely manner and letting your references know that we will contact them can help speed up this process. We ask your references to verify the information you’ve provided us with, and generally, these conversations only take roughly 20 minutes.
- Aged 18 or over. Teens (in grades 9-12) should complete this application instead.
- We welcome applications from people of all sexual orientations, gender identities and expressions, and abilities. If we can accommodate any accessibility requirements for this application process, please contact Karen Luchtenberg at email@example.com or 604.876.2447 x 236.
- We ask for minimum time commitments because they have been proven to be most beneficial for the child/youth. (Don’t worry, you can still take your vacations.) Time commitments vary by program:
- Big Brother community-based program – once a week (2-4 hours) for 1 year. Learn more
- In-School Mentoring program – once a week (1 hour) during school hours for 1 academic year. Learn more
- Game On! group mentoring program – once a week (1.5 hours) for 8 weeks. Learn more
- Mentoring with Math – once a week (1.5 hours) for 10 weeks (Spring or Fall sessions available). Learn more
We know you’re excited about this journey, so let’s get started!