We’re thrilled that you are interested in mentoring a child or youth in your community! Before you get started, you should know that you are not alone – you are joining hundreds of volunteers who are already building BIG friendships. You’ll also have the support of professional caseworkers who are here to support you with training and regular check-ins.
Child safety and finding the right match between “Bigs” and “Littles” are our top priorities – that’s why our application form and screening process is so detailed. Our volunteers tell us that finding the right match is worth the effort and patience.
Here’s an idea of what to expect:
Filling Out the Application Form
- Give yourself 30 minutes or more to fill out our application.
- If needed, you can hit "Save and Continue" to save your answers and return to the form later.
- You’ll be asked for a minimum of 4 adult references (1 significant other/family member; 1 employer; 2 personal non-family references). You’ll need to provide their full name, email, and phone number.
- If you have worked or volunteered with vulnerable people (e.g. youth, seniors, people living with disabilities) within the last 5 years, you’ll be asked to provide an additional reference related to that experience.
- We've listed answers to all of the frequently asked questions about volunteering, the application form, and the process at the bottom of this page - if you don't see the answer to your question there, please reach out to our team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Online volunteer application
- Police information check (we’ll send you instructions after the application is received), references check
- Group training session
- Notification of acceptance/non-acceptance as a volunteer
- If accepted, our caseworkers will find the best match for you based on location, shared interests, etc. If everyone agrees, your match will officially begin!
To ensure safety and the best match possible, the entire process typically takes 2-3 months to complete.
Still have questions? Check out our frequently asked questions below. If you're ready to volunteer, click the button below to fill out the volunteer application form and start your volunteer journey with us.