Check for Eligibility
- I am 18 years or older
- I have lived in the Greater Vancouver Area for a minimum of 6 months.
- I understand the application process can take up to approximately 2 months to complete. Once accepted as a Volunteer, being matched with a Little Buddy can take several weeks, depending on my location and other preferences.
- I can easily manage the time commitment in my schedule
- I will submit my Police Information Check – Vulnerable Sector form to my local Police/RCMP station as soon as possible, and if necessary will follow up with any concerns.
Submit an Application
- You may choose to apply online or you may contact our agency and we can send you an application in the mail or through email.
- After we receive your application form and all the requirements are met, we will provide you with a Police Information Check – Vulnerable Sector form.
Submit a Police Information Check – Vulnerable Sector
- You must submit your Police Information Check – Vulnerable Sector forms immediately as we require that you complete a new record check before we will consider you for an interview.
- As per our National Standards, we must receive a new Police Information Check – Vulnerable Sector form solely for our organization.
- Once we receive your Police Information Check – Vulnerable Sector form results and you meet our requirements, we will contact you to schedule a one-on-one interview. The interview lasts approximately one to two hours and consists of a series of questions related to your motivation, beliefs and values, interests and lifestyle, and family history.
- Please note that only those applicants that meet our requirements will be contacted for an interview. Contact will be made only after we receive your Police Information Check – Vulnerable Sector results.
- Your references are adults who have known you well for more than two years and who represent different facets of your life: your employer, a family member/significant other, personal references and someone who has witnessed you working (paid or voluntarily) with children.
- Training is a three-hour group session. It is designed to get you ready to meet your ‘Little’ and will give you the tools you need to build a successful friendship.
Meet your ‘Little’!
- Upon your acceptance, our staff will begin to search for a suitable Little Buddy for you, considering factors such as where you would like to be matched, your interests, and the needs of the children on our wait-pool. We work hard to find a compatible match for each Mentor – and sometimes that can take some time- but it’ll be worth the wait!
- Once a potential Little Buddy has been selected for you, one of our staff will tell you about your Little and will schedule the introductory meeting. Your first meeting will take place at the child’s school with your dedicated Mentoring Coordinator, the school liaison, and your Little Buddy.
- Once everyone is acquainted, you and your Little Buddy will plan your first activity. Thank you for volunteering as an In-School Mentor and welcome to the program!