BRIDGE THE GENERATIONS
Volunteer as a Mentor in our Between Generations Program!
The Between Generations aims to connect seniors and/or retired men and women (and people with a little spare time) with elementary school students. Volunteers are matched with an elementary school aged child throughout the school year and meet once a week. They meet at the school, during school hours and participate in fun based activities such as crafts, games, baking, or going on short walks.
The children in the program are boys and girls in grades 1 – 6 who are chosen by school staff who could benefit from 1 -1 attention and support. They may be struggling in school, be new immigrants or are shy or lonely. Children who have a mentor show increased self-esteem, feel more connected to school and are less likely to be bullied or bully. Volunteers have the opportunity to make an impact in the community, help change the life of a child and to have fun!
- Improves physical functioning,
- Enhances emotional health,
- Provides particular social advantages and
- Is good for brain health
*No special skills are required but just the desire to make a difference in the life of a child.
How can you get involved?
- Fill in an application form, include 3 references
- Submit a criminal records check
- Meet with staff for a 1 -1 interview
- Participate in a group training session
- Get matched with a Little Buddy at an elementary school
*To apply please contact Matthew Duckworth at firstname.lastname@example.org or 604-876-2447 ext. 236.